Wednesday, July 30

the Piccadilly Market, and why I look forward to it every time

Even before I started being a smallholder at markets, I loved going to markets.  I loved seeing the handmade things that clever people created, often knowing that they couldn't be found anywhere else.
I loved buying bags of fresh produce, cutesy little kitsch that was a 'must' by then and there, and often little gifts and presents for loved ones that they couldn't find anywhere else.


Now that I get to play on the other side of the stall table, I still love going to markets as a shopper and a maker.
The Piccadilly market has at least 80 stalls each time - sometimes more - and whilst there are the old favourites and returners, there are always new things to see on their stands or with the brand new businesses who are represented.
The advantage of early set up and organisation, is that you get a chance to have a sneaky walk around and admire your neighbour's work.  I try and go for a wander further afield before we open, as I'm often at a stand by myself and a quick trip to bathroom/coffee is all I want to do - there's never time for wandering and shopping unless I have relief stall assistance from someone!  However, it's entirely a different matter when you find yourself admiring your neighbouring tables for hours at a time.  It's quite easy to talk yourself into something that you have been admiring for hours... I may or may not have made some late afternoon impulse purchases from fellow stallholders that way ;)



I have been playing around with display ideas, and created a replacement for my swing tags that use individually typed information on my Mum's vintage typewriter.  Two fingered typing at its best, on an old reel of tape - definitely a unique feature to the books!


Hope to see you on Sunday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment